There is an excellent network of mountain railways, boats, paddle steamers, post buses and trains giving you access to all areas of the region and beyond. If you wish to go further afield the Swiss Pass can provide free travel across Switzerland.
|Festival ||Month |
|Festival Strings Lucerne ||Mid May |
|Whit Sounds ||Mid May |
|Swiss World Classic ||Late May |
|Rowing World Cup ||Late May |
|Maggenhorn Castle: Sound Music Days ||Mid June |
|The Retro Festival ||Mid June |
|Lucerne Festival ||Late June |
|Blue Balls Festival ||Late July |
|Lucerne Festival in Summer ||Mid August |
|World Band Festival ||Late September |
If you want to experience more than just your hotel’s cooking, you’ll find that the city of Lucerne is seemingly stuffed with restaurants selling cuisines from all over the world. From lakefront eateries to cafes and bars in the maze of streets slightly more inland, there are loads to choose from. Make sure to try some of Lucerne’s very own Pear Bread – buttery puff pastry filled with pears, plums, figs, walnuts and raisins.
On the Schützenstrasse you’ll find Wirthaus Galliker, a traditional-style tavern run by the Galliker family since 1856. It’s always thriving with locals, and the atmosphere is great – friendly waitresses serve Swiss specialities like the Lucerne Chogalipasteli.
A short walk from the train station is Restaurant Drei Konige, a high-ceilinged, retro restaurant preparing a mixture of European dishes as well as Swiss classics. Despite being part of the Drei Konige hotel, it’s a place that locals regularly frequent.
Down the road from the Drei Konige is Grottino 1313, a gorgeous restaurant with rustic décor. The plates from the set menu are colourful, inventive and beautifully presented, and the service is top-class.
Strolls along the lakeside promenades of Lucerne and the surrounding villages can be enjoyed by all. For fabulous views over the region both Mount Rigi and Pilatus offer some excellent walking. Take the steepest cog wheel railway to Pilatus, it's worth the 10 minutes to take the path to summit at 2118 metres. Take the cable car down to Frakmuntegg and enjoy mountain moorland and crystal clear streams on the walk down to Krienseregg.
Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi
This travel card entitles you to unlimited use of various forms of transport all over Switzerland at a discounted price.
· Up to 50% off train, bus, and boat tickets
· Up to 50% off most mountain railways
· Up to 50% off cable car tickets
This card is included in your holiday, free of charge.
Lake Lucerne Region Visitor's Card
A great way to see more of Lucerne and save a few pennies as you go, with loads of reductions on spas, transport, sports and cultural attractions.
· Discounted travel on lake cruises and cableways
· Use of the late-night shuttle boat between Lucerne, Weggis and Vitznau
· Discounted entry to swimming pools and spas
· Discounts on sports activities
· Discounted entry to a variety of museums and guided tours
Available free to all customers staying in Lucerne.
Thomson resort service
Call-away Holiday Advisor
There isn’t a Holiday Advisor based in your resort. Your local Holiday Advisor will be in touch before you arrive. Then, if you need to speak to them during your holiday, they’re just a call away, 24 hours a day. Or you can send them a text, email them or even tweet them – whatever works for you.
Unique to Switzerland, Fly Rail allows you to make the most of exploring this beautiful country on your arrival day without the hassle of carrying all your luggage. This is how it works:
· If you’re departing from a UK airport, just drop your luggage off during check-in.
· Once in resort, you can pick up your bags from the train station the day after you arrive from 6pm (within station opening times). This does mean that you’ll have to pack everything you might need for the first day of your holiday in your hand luggage i.e. toothbrush and spare clothes.
· For your return journey, all you need to do is drop off your bags at the train station by 7pm, the evening before you leave (within station opening times). Again, you’ll need to keep the essentials with you for your departure day.
Please note: This service is only available on holidays lasting 7 nights or more.
Make the most of the Swiss rail network with a Swiss pass giving you the freedom to explore the length and breadth of this intriguing country. Why not visit some of these places from Lucerne.
| ||Distance |
|Bern ||1hr |
|Zurich ||50 mins |
|Lugano ||2 hours 30mins |
|Interlaken ||2 hours |
Lucerne has no Thomson Holiday Advisor, you will be given a welcome pack and a contact number on arrival