• Salzburg · 86km · 1 hour 45 minutes
Birmingham, Glasgow, London Gatwick, Manchester, Newcastle
Sports and activities
Culture and history
Less than 2 hour transfer
So what's it like?
World class spas, medieval castles and even summer glacial skiing – Kaprun is a world of contrasts just waiting to be discovered.
Set within the boundaries of the Hohe Tauern National Park the town of Kaprun is the place to go for sports fans – we’re not talking about watching footie and the like, but getting into activities that make the most of the great outdoors, whatever your skill level.
Kaprun is a paradise for walkers, hikers and cyclists, with mile upon mile of trails through blooming meadows all the way up to the peak of Maiskogel and on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier. For more of an adrenaline fix, try paragliding, summer skiing or white water rafting on the nearby Salzach River.
It’s also earnt its reputation as home to some of Austria’s most impressive spas – both in many of the hotels and at Kaprun’s premier wellness facility, the Tauern Spa.
Well known for the 12th century Kapruner Burg fortress, one of the oldest in the province of Salzburg, there’s plenty of history to discover across the Pinzgau region too. If that’s not really your cup of tea, then maybe some of the local traditions and festivals might be more appealing.
If you prefer a bit more of the here and now there’s a good selection of lively bars, cafés and restaurants, and regular live music events to set the mood all across Kaprun. And as Kaprun is right by neighbouring Zell am See you can always get stuck into some retail therapy there, or head up to Bavarian Germany or Salzburg for a day of exploration.
Available from £314 (return)
All-inclusive Summer Card for 2013: All guests staying at selected hotels in Kaprun will receive this unique all-inclusive card allowing you to relax and enjoy the superb sights and attractions of this beautiful area of Austria. The local bus links Zell am See and Kaprun for only €1 per journey so you can take advantage of the great offers in both resorts, regardless of which resort you're staying in!
Zell am See
- Free unlimited descents on the Schmittenhöhe cable car
- Free ascent on the Schmittenhöhe cable car (once weekly)
- Free unlimited use of the Sonnenalm/City Express gondola
- Free round the lake boat trip on Lake Zell (once weekly)
- Free boat trip on the MS Schmittenhöhe (once weekly)
- Free unlimited lake crossings
- Free unlimited entry to lakeside bathing beaches
- Free unlimited entry to Zell am See indoor pool
- Free unlimited use of the Kaprun Gletscher gondola (to Alpincentre)
- Free ascent and descent from Alpincentre to Kitzsteinhorn (once weekly)
- Free unlimited use of the Kaprun Maiskogelbahn cable car
- Free unlimited entry to Kaprun Alpine Reservoirs
- Free unlimited entry to Kaprun Optimum Sports centre indoor pool
- Free unlimited entry to the Siegmund Thun gorge
- Free unlimited entry to the Vorderkaser gorge
- Free unlimited entry to the Seisenberg gorge
- Free unlimited entry to the Lamprechtshöhle cave
- Free unlimited entry to the Krimml waterfalls
- Free unlimited entry to the the Wild & Freizeit game & amusement park
- Free unlimited entry to the Pinzgau Museum of local history
- Free unlimited entry to the Mittersill National Park centre
Excellent local bus service and a choice of summer lifts. Train service from nearby Zell am See to Kitzbühel, Salzburg and Bad Gastein.
Kaprun has a limited Holiday Advisor service. On arrival you will receive the contact number of the nearby Thomson Holiday Advisor based in Zell am See.
· Take the lifts up to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier for superb views over the valley and the Hohe Tauern National Park · Visit the spectacular mountain reservoirs above Kaprun and the Sigmund-Thun gorge
Twin centre suggestion
Why not try a twin centre combining 7 days in Kaprun, at the superb Hotel Sonnblick, with a 3 or 4 night stay in imperial Vienna, staying at the fabulous Holiday Inn Vienna City. Please note that Vienna must be taken as the first centre. Alternatively combine your stay in Kaprun with a stay in the Austrian lake district at St. Gilgen staying in the Parkhotel Billroth, a former imperial villa set in its own lakeside park. Transfer to your second centre is usually by coach or minibus and may be via the airport. Call us to book.
Special offers for summer 15
Summer card: Free Zell/Kaprun summer card for guests staying in selected hotels with free or discounted entrance to many attractions in and around Zell am See and Kaprun.